Monday, May 19, 2008

A mother in its own right..


She plays on my lap, playfully she rubs off my cheeks, sometimes, she fights with me, when I seem not to observe her delightful activities in the play ground.
I take her for an evening stroll, in her ‘princess trolley’, and as I call her ‘Vedika’, ‘Baby’, she turns back, and smiles at me, and I give her this little blowfish kiss and she returns one back to me.



So as I take her for this stroll in the society apartments, a question dawns to me, will I be able to afford all this for my kids? Will I be able to give them the club house, the basketball court, the swimming pool, the kindergarten, or if not, will they ask me why they do not live in the big apartments, where you have these immaculately dressed children, with the most colourful robes, most of them with their nannies.

And as I think all of this, I am touched, of what my parents have made me, ‘Responsible’, I think that is the legacy I cherish the most having had from my parents.
So as I struggle, as I have always been with ‘Who am I? “, I know that I will have to answer it, and I do not have much time, and it never seems enough.

So while I sit besides the swimming pool, with her on my lap, and my feet in the cold water, and as she struggles to let her free, I sit back and wonder, what will it be like, to have my own kids, to send them to school, to sit with them and help them with their homework, and knowing that whatever may I do, will never be enough.

But after a thoughtful debate of me Vs. myself, I am convinced, I would want to give my progeny a more precious legacy, an inheritance which my parents gave me, an inheritance of ‘belonging’, of knowing where you come from, and of knowing why we were sent to this earth. Of making those special years of life, all the more wonderful and telling them, that there are ‘second bests too’, and that nothing is absolutely wrong, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Teach your children to fail, for every success is the revenge of failure. Let them be what they want to be, not what you always wanted to be and could never become, tell them that there are vocations besides doctors, engineers, and teach them to make mistakes, and laugh at them, for life does not come easy to all of us.

No comments: