Sunday, January 31, 2010

Footprints of Gerizim


You will know the meaning of a kiss only when you have never been kissed
.

This simple realization stuck to me yesterday, when I had been to Gerizim Rehabilitation centre .

At the first sight , there was particularly nothing remarkable about Rahul. He had just been an ordinary child, but what stuck me at first when I saw him, was he wished me Merry Christmas Akka(sister in Kannada) almost four or five times that single afternoon. That was December 25th ,2009 .



Rahul is the one next to me in the picture- in White








That day, Anupama and I had been to Gerizim first. We had our inhibitions at first about how it would be to spend some time with specially abled kids. We took with us some sweets, and color books and crayons .But what was remarkable (and unexpected) was that these kids were extraordinarily disciplined .They never rose once while we are distributing the stuff, and continued to watch the movie that was being stage in the hall they were seated in.







And this is Vidya .










Yesterday, once more, we had been there. And this time with more energy that we had than the previous !
While I was playing with the kids, Vidya came to me, and as I soothed her hair, and picked her in my lap, it was appalled by the warmth she gave me and it was then that stuck me , these kids had no family , they were mentally challenged, and might not even remember us. (But I was surprised when the kids drew in thin air the signs showing coloring –as if to tell us that they remembered us from the last visit)
It stuck me that at times when we have nothing to lose, we still hold ourselves, in the tough collar, shutting ourselves out ,to what is humane .

That’s why they say –You never know what your smile does to someone, for a moment, for a day, for a lifetime of memory book – go sketch a memory book for someone .


This is something where My world of numbers and Mathematics have no meaning-Just the plain realization that we must give selflessly .

-------
Helping people help themselves
Ekta Grover

1 comment:

Unknown said...

some time what we do in life seems meaningless. Some times it feels like I can selflessly dedicate my life , work and energy to improve life of at least a few who are like us but not fortunate like us.love your dedication Ekta thats all I can say.